Vera Farmiga as: Alex Goran
Directed by: Jason Reitman
Selected Cast: George Clooney, Anna Kendrick, Jason Bateman, Amy Morton, Melanie Lynskey & Zach Galifianakis
Written by: Walter Kirn
Release Year: 2009
Genre: Drama / Romance
MPAA Rating: R
Ryan Bingham is a corporate downsizing expert whose cherished life on the road is threatened just as he is on the cusp of reaching ten million frequent flyer miles and just after he’s met the frequent-traveler woman of his dreams.
• Filmed in USA (view all.)
• Nominated for 6 Oscars. Another 55 wins & 60 nominations (view all.)
• A large amount of the people we see fired in the film are not actors but people who were recently laid off. The filmmakers put out ads in St. Louis and Detroit posing as a documentary crew looking to document the effect of the recession. When people showed up, they were instructed to treat the camera like the person who fired them and respond as they did or use the opportunity to say what they wished they had. A way to discern who are the actors and who are the real people is that the real people do not have dialogue with George Clooney or Anna Kendrick, as they were shot separately. Jason Reitman did this intentionally, feeling that the real people would freak out Clooney and Kendrick.
• The card that Alex Goran is so impressed by is the American Airlines invitation-only Concierge Key. After the film was completed, Jason Reitman was invited into the program. Started in 2007, it helps members arrange for reservation changes, upgrades, and even airport meetings. It is sent to selected customers, and since it is not advertised, some travelers consider it a rumor.
• Vera Farmiga used a body double for her nude scene. In an interview she stated she has no problems being naked in a film but she had recently given birth and “The breast milk running down would have been inappropriate”.
• When Alex Goran is at the Atlanta airport she asks Ryan if he knows a good place for ribs. Ryan tells her to go to Fat Matt’s – a real rib shack on Piedmont Avenue. Director Ivan Reitman is a big fan of the restaurant. In return owners Matt and Kelly Harper presented Reitman with a card entitling him to a “lifetime of ribs.”
• Ellen Page and Emily Blunt were considered to play Natalie Keener.
• Co-writer/Director Jason Reitman stated that if George Clooney had passed on the role of Ryan Bingham, he would have rewritten the part for Steve Martin. Reitman claimed that the movie would have become “much more like Lost in Translation (2003) was for Bill Murray.”